Software project management gives businesses the best project control solution, and brings optimal efficiency and budget savings.
Software project management helps businesses to have good control over the project from start to finish, from planning to testing, to commissioning and product delivery. So, what exactly is software project management? What management models are popular in Japan today? Find out in the following article!
What is software project management?
With the rapid development of information technology in Japan and over the world, the demand for online shopping on e-commerce sites is increasing to a “dizzy” level. Therefore, the software management system was born as an effective solution to help businesses a lot in their business and sales.
Software project management is considered as a series of activities including the steps of planning, scheduling, resource allocation, implementation, monitoring, and finally delivery of projects in the field of software-and-web-related information technology.
The software project management system is increasingly improved and completed to better meet the enterprises’ business demands. The software management system will help businesses and suppliers to easily manage, upgrade and add features that are most appropriate.
Software project management is considered as a series of activities including the steps of planning, scheduling, resource allocation, implementation, monitoring, and finally delivery
The personnel in charge is the person who decides whether the software project management system smoothly or not. Let’s find out what are the roles and responsibilities of a software project manager!
Roles and Responsibilities of Software Project Manager
Software project management systems take an important role for businesses. However, in order to have a suitable and highly effective management model, human resources are the indispensable factor. Software project managers must have high professional qualifications, fully equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge. Therefore, it can serve well for tasks such as planning, guiding, executing, time management, budgeting and ultimately maintenance.
Planning for Software Project Management
A software project manager has to create a detailed plan for the entire project, including all the steps from coming up with ideas to implementation, operation, testing, and upgrading.
When planning, the project manager must know how to define the scope of activities, then allocate resources, and propose a timeline that is consistent with the project goals. Next is to develop an implementation plan, find and develop strategic communication channels. Finally, take the necessary steps for timely inspection and maintenance.
In the guiding step, the software project manager is responsible for building and guiding a team of personnel to implement the project. This group usually includes personnel in “key” positions such as developers, analysts, testers, graphic designers, technicians, programmers, etc.
In this step, the project managers need to have communication and leadership skills to lead the team to perform easily and quickly.
Software project managers must have high professional qualifications, fully equipped with necessary skills and knowledge.
After detailed planning and guidance for employees, the project manager will directly participate in each phase of the project. Contemporary, the project manager is responsible for monitoring progress, communicating regularly with the implementation team about requests, suggestions and reporting status to the investor periodically every day, week or month.
Time management to ensure software projects are completed on time is extremely important. Especially, for software projects, sometimes, the initial estimated time will be changed from reality.
In that situation, the project manager must have professional knowledge and skills in risk management. At the same time, always in a state of readiness to respond to emergencies and risks so that the project is always operated in the best way.
Similar to a traditional project, a manager needs to check and budget for his entire software project. Always keep spending to a minimum and distribute money as needed to ensure as much budget savings as possible.
Realizing and fixing bugs early in the project construction and development process keeps the product on track, and in line with user needs. Therefore, managers need to have experience in regularly and accurately checking and evaluating problems, thereby having a timely solution.
Realizing and fixing bugs early in the project construction and development process keeps the product on track, and in line with user needs.
The best software project management methods
The best software project management methods that be applied by most Japanese businesses can be listed as followings:
- Agile model: This is a model that applies flexibility throughout the development process with the ultimate goal of getting the product to users as fast as possible. Besides, Agile also emphasizes creativity and close links between the development team and customers.
- Waterfall model: This model approaches reality according to a strict system from top to bottom. The planned steps must be followed in sequence until the final goal is achieved.
- Lean model: This is a project management method based on the optimization of costs in terms of personnel, money and time with the desire to create more optimal results.
- Scrum model: This model is most widely applied in the field of software and information technology. This model allows the manager to consider what capacity each member can achieve over a period of time. Since, plan for the entire employee to “sprint” and execute until the project is completed.
- Kanban method: In this method, all project processes and details are clearly and transparently shown in the plan. This method allows the project manager to update the project status quickly.
Agile is a model of applying flexibility throughout the development process with the ultimate goal of getting the product to users as quickly as possible.
Each software project management method has its own advantages and disadvantages and is suitable for each field and business culture. Therefore, businesses need to learn carefully and in-depth about each method to have a good policy and orientation for the project.
Software project management tools and techniques in Agile method
Introduction to software project management tools and techniques in Agile method
Agile (Agile Software Development) is a flexible software project management methodology. This software management method is favored by many Japanese businesses thanks to its flexible application throughout the development process with the ultimate goal of bringing products to users as quickly as possible.
Agile is similar to a methodology or philosophy based on the principles of iterative and growth. Currently, Agile has contributed a lot to the development of software systems, contributing to a positive change in the way of working in all jobs such as management and production. At the same time, it is applied to the fields of production, sales service provision, marketing, education, etc.
Characteristics of Agile method
The project will be designed with iterative, iterative segments (Iterative, Sprint) and has a short time frame (about 1 – 4 weeks). In each segment, the development team will do all the necessary work such as planning, requirements analysis, design, implementation and testing to produce a small part of the product.
Incremental and Evolutionary
At the end of each segment, small pieces of the product are completed, workable, tested, and put to use. Over time, many parts, small segments are completed and connected together to produce a final product of absolute quality.
Because the segments only take place in a short period of time, the requirements can also be changed continuously and flexibly, so it requires extremely high adaptability in the implementation personnel.
Agile method is similar to a methodology or philosophy based on the principles of iterative and incremental segmentation.
Self-organizing and cross-functional team
This characteristic of Agile is the most obvious difference from other software project management methods. Accordingly, the working structure of a team often does not distinguish clearly the hierarchy of titles. The team organizes itself and fully divides the tasks and functions to produce the final results in the most convenient and complete way.
Empirical Process Control
Agile teams will make their own decisions based on actual data rather than feelings or assumptions. As a result, the response lifecycle shortens, adapts easily, and increases flexibility. From there, control the process and improve labor productivity.
Agile software project management method emphasizes face-to-face interaction between personnel instead of through papers and letters. At the same time, encourage development teams to talk directly with customers to better understand project requirements and orientation.
The basic principle of the Agile method always wants to be that “results are the measure of the process”. Requires the Agile team to communicate, interact directly, often with customers to understand higher-priority requirements and bring early value to the project.
Advantages of Agile software project management method
Different from traditional management methods like Waterfall, breaking down development teams and achieving goals through interactive sessions/sprints helps to shorten the product completion time better.
- Breaking down interactive sessions/sprints makes it easier for the development team to edit customer changes.
- The implementation team is divided into working sessions for each phase, so it is not necessary to know the information from the beginning to still be able to deploy.
- Can hand over work faster to the team or other developer.
- Feedback and notes from customers and users are constantly updated, helping the development team to promptly edit and optimize the project.
- Help staff, implementation process have continuous improvement thanks to contributions and feedback from customers and internally.
Break up interactive sessions/sprints so that the development team can easily edit customer changes
Luvina Software – a reliable Vietnamese software outsourcing service provider
The ultimate goal of a software project management process is a complete, satisfactory and quality product. However, to achieve that, businesses need to build an internal development team or find a reputable and quality outsourcing service provider.
The optimal plan to bring the project to success, and at the same time to help businesses save costs and time, is outsourcing. One of the most reputable and quality software development service providers in Vietnam is Luvina Software.
- With more than 17 years of experience in the software outsourcing market, Luvina Software has become a reliable partner of many large Japanese enterprises in the development, maintenance and operation of software systems. The team of technicians and programmers at Luvina are highly qualified and skilled from top universities in Vietnam such as Polytechnic University, and National University.
- The knowledge workforce at Luvina Software is not only professional but also trained in soft skills in communication, understanding Japanese culture and working style.
- The employee understands the market and business culture of Japanese enterprises, thereby meeting the needs and bringing absolute satisfaction.
- Besides, human resources from Luvina Software also have the ability to adapt extremely quickly and easily join the enterprise’s software project management apparatus. Thereby, increasing the close association with the business.
Luvina Software – a reliable Vietnamese software outsourcing service provider
Software project management brings businesses many economic benefits as well as saving development and operating costs. The application of Agile method helps to manage easily, more closely by dividing the working sessions. Besides, cooperating with a reputable and quality software development service provider is also very important.
Please contact Luvina via hotline or visit the website to learn and be consulted about the top software development services in Vietnam.